Big Creek Presbyterian Church has been worshiping the LORD since 1834. Initially the congregation met in a log building. The present stone building was built in 1866.
As Presbyterians have long valued education, the stone carving above the church door symbolizes the partnership between religion and education, faith seeking understanding. In 1850, an offer was made by the Board of Education of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church to pay $300.00 for a competent teacher if the church would erect an academy. The result was the brick building in the church yard, known as the “Little Red Schoolhouse,” which currently houses the pastor’s office and gathering spaces.
Big Creek Presbyterian Church was part of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) for many years before significant doctrinal differences led Big Creek to leave the denomination and join the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) in 2015.